A must-have in any handyman’s toolbox is an angle grinder. It is a handheld power tool that can cut, grind, sand, sharpen, polish, and more. There is doubt about it that it is an indispensable addition to your home toolbox. They look simple, don’t they? But when you decide to buy one, oh boy! Here comes the hard part. That’s the very reason why we have made this buying guide to make sure you pick the best angle grinder.
Also known as side grinders or disc grinders, angle grinders are powerful electric or pneumatic tools used for cutting and grinding metal and stone. It is used in any construction sites, metalworking shops, and even garages. Despite its versatility, it does not take a lot of space. The material and thickness of the disc determine its application. They are excellent tools for cutting and polishing, but it is very important to choose the right disc for the job.
Sanding discs are excellent for polishing, cutting discs are used to cut harder materials, whereas grinding discs are of metal and stone. The best grinders are powerful, versatile, and dependable power tools with good longevity.
Looking for the perfect angle grinder can be time-consuming. To help you in your decision making, we have a few suggestions.
Check out our Picks of Top 5 Best Angle Grinder
5 Best Angle Grinder Reviews
1. Black & Decker BDEG400 6-Amp Angle Grinder, 4-1/2-Inch
- Metal gear case for durability and longer life
- 3 Position side handle provides added comfort and control
- Spindle lock for easy accessory changes
- Included Components: 4-1/2" Small angle grinder, Metal grinding wheel, Spanner wrench, Wheel Guard
The Black & Decker BDEG400 6-AMP Angle Grinder is an excellent tool for grinding, cutting or sharpening. Black & Decker put four 0.5-inch small discs in the package. The tool has a metal case that adds to its longevity, and it has a three-position handle for comfort and safety. This means you can find the right position for you even if you have larger hands.
The spindle lock is a nice addition and makes the wheel change and other accessory modifications easier. It comes with a sturdy design that can take a beating and – under proper use – remains operational at least for a couple of years, but possibly much longer.
The product has 5.19 x 12.5 x 4.63-inch dimensions and a corded electric cable. It needs 120 volts for its 6-amper, 10,000-RPM motor. The total weight is 4.8 pounds, and with the side handles, the BDEG400 is easy to handle and carry around.
Despite being a small appliance, it can provide a good amount of power and does an efficient job, whether you use it for grinding, cutting, or polishing. The on/off switch is easy to access, making the design even safer.
The manual is also straightforward, really easy to understand.
- Protective metal case
- Adjustable side handles
- Three positions for the handle
- Easy access to the on/off switch
- Good power
- Ideal tool for beginners
- Weighs only 4.8 pounds
- Spindle lock
- Excellent for sharpening, cutting, grinding
- No cutting disc in the package
- Overheats after a while, not for professional use
2. DEWALT DWE402 4-1/2-Inch 11-Amp Paddle Switch
- 11 Amp AC/DC 11,000 rpm motor which provides the best power to weight/size ratio available
- Spindle Size-5/8"-11 in, 1400 W, Corded Power Tool,
- Tool Length-12 in, Wheel Diameter-4-1/2-Inch
- Includes-One-Touch Guard,2-Position Side Handle,Wrench
- Dust Ejection System provides durability by ejecting damaging dust and debris
The DEWALT DWE402 has a compact design and excellent power to size ratio. It comes with a massive, 11-amper motor. When it comes to home appliances, few grinders can reach 11,000 RPM, but this one does. The engine of the DWE402 makes this grinder one of the strongest in its category. The appliance is a little heavy, but since with its 5.94 x 15.63 x 4.71-inch dimensions it is one of the biggest grinders in its category, that’s understandable.
The WDE402 has an inbuilt dust ejection system that helps the engine stay clean of debris, which is a common problem for these machines.
The quick-change wheel allows you to put on new discs without any tools, while the one-touch guard offers 360-degrees rotation. There is also a paddle switch and a lock-off feature as well, which makes operating the appliance safely. This safeguard prevents you from accidentally starting the grinder, which could have devastating effects.
When it comes to the brushes, DEWALT delivers another unique feature. The brush wheels are very thick, and one could even use the word oversized. Thanks to this, the appliance lasts a lot longer, and that can be a huge plus for some.
Most homeowners use angle grinders sporadically, but the DEWALT DWE402 handles frequent work in short sessions.
- One-touch guard
- Paddle switch
- Quick change wheel
- Anti-dust system
- Clean design
- High durability
- Bulky design doesn’t work for everyone
- Too advanced for a first-time buyer
3. PORTER-CABLE PC60TAG 6.0-Amp 4-1/2-Inch
- 11000 rpm for high speed material removal
- Durable 6 A motor powers through jobsite tasks with ease
- Cast metal gear case increases jobsite durability and tool longevity
The best about the PORTER-CABLE PC60TAG 6.0-Amp 4-1/2-Inch Angle Grinder is its versatility. It can offer you speed and powerful output in a single efficient package. It is able to match the DEWALT DWE402’s 11,000-RPM performance, which means that it should be able to handle any home-jobs without problems, and maybe even smaller professional projects.
Like with most home appliances of this kind, overheating can be an issue, but the PC60TAG should give you a good 40-minute use per round. It has a rotating housing, which means you don’t need any tools for a guard-release. In addition, the PC560TAG comes with ergonomic handles and a metal case, both of which make the model safer and more convenient to use.
The PC60TAG has a 6-ampere motor which is ideal for home works such as grinding different surfaces, tile cutting, or knife sharpening. The switch is well-positioned so that anyone should be able to reach it easily regardless of their grip style.
The appliance is safe to handle and provides a good output. With its 4.7 x 13 x 5.3 inch dimensions, it should be an ideal tool for most households.
- Engine specs
- Tool-free change guard
- Spindle lock feature
- Metal case
- Convenient on/off switch
- Very durable if used properly
- A little too complex for the inexperienced
4. Hitachi G12SR4 6.2-Amp 4-1/2-Inch Angle Grinder
- 6.2 Amp motor with 980W of max output power for tough grinding jobs
- Spindle lock for quick and easy disc and accessory changes
- Trigger lock-on for comfortable, continuous operation
- Class leading overload durability for increased tool life and reliability
- Left-mounted slide switch with quick-off feature for added safety
First is this angle grinder from the Japanese giant Hitachi. The company has been around for more than a century founded by Namihei Odaira. Their mission is to deliver innovative products and services that can answer society’s daily challenges. Their power tools are without a doubt durable, reliable, and powerful.
Hitachi is a very diverse company. Aside from power tools, they also provide financial services, automotive systems, home appliances, digital media, and consumer products, medical equipment, aircraft, defense systems, and so much more.
- 2 amp motor with output power up to 980W
- Spindle lock which helps attach and remove discs and accessories easily
- Trigger lock-on to operate continuously
- Has a forward-canted side handle that can be removed to suit either left-handed or right handle users
- Turn the angle grinder easily with its left-mounted slide switch
- Has a low-profile gear case
- Small diameter handle which makes it easier to grip
- Its dimensions are 10 x 4 x 4 in. and weighs 4 lbs.
- Comes with a carry case and 5 abrasive wheels
- Easy and simple to use
- Guard does not require that much effort to remove or adjust
- Affordable and works as well and even better than expensive brands
- It comes with extra high-quality wheels
- It has various options for speed that you can set depending on the task you are doing
- The plastic case it comes in is too thin
- It tends to heat up quickly
5. Metabo W9-115 8.5 Amp 10,500 rpm Angle Grinder with Lock-On Sliding Switch, 4-1/2″
- Metabo LongLife motor with up to 50% more torque for quicker material removal, up to 20% higher overload capacity
- Suitable for AC/DC operation
- Metabo S-Automatic safety slip clutch helps the user to maintain control if the accessory jams reducing the likelihood of kickback
- Tool-free adjustable guard with 7 locking positions
- Gear housing can be rotated at 90Degree steps for increased comfort and ergonomics during left-handed operation or for cutting applications
When it comes to power tools, Metabo is considered to be one of the most popular brands there is. The company’s name, Metabo, is derived from the words metal drill and was founded by Albrecht Schnizler in 1923. Their tools are the staple of professional construction. They have a wide range of tools and accessories such as circular saws, water pumps, compressed air tools, rotary and chipping hammers, and battery packs.
- 5 amp power
- Up to 10,500 rotations per minute
- The motor now has up to 50% more torque and also up to 20% higher overload capacity
- Tool-free and twist-proof adjustable guard with 7 adjustable positions
- Small grip circumference
- Has an S-automatic safety clutch for extra safety and minimizes kickback
- Can be adjusted to suit both left and right-handed users
- Gear housing can be unscrewed and rotated at 90° steps
- Its dimensions are 11.9 x 2.9 x 12 in. and weighs 4.6 lb. without the power cord
- Cord length is 8 ft.
- Built to last
- Spindle lock makes it easy to attach and replace the wheels
- Runs smoothly and easy to adjust
- Decent price for its quality
- Has a high torque which enables you to work on harder materials
- The spindle is a bit too long and tends to get in the way
- The packaging is not that great and could use a lot of improvements
- Does not come with extra disks
Things To Know Before Buying
Die Grinder VS Angle Grinder
Die grinders and angle grinders are both great tools needed to perform specific tasks. Most people would assume that they are similar and have the same use.
Although they do have some similarities, being that they are both handheld rotary type tools, they are very different. To know more about their differences, here is a list:
Bigger and heavier than die grinders
Angle grinders are bigger because they are designed to be used for heavier tasks that require a lot of power and not a lot of precision. On the other hand, die grinders are smaller and lighter because they are used for tasks that require accuracy.
Have bigger discs
The size of an angle grinder’s disc ranges from 4 ½ in. to 9 in. while a die grinder’s discs range from only 2 in. to 3 in. Since die grinder discs are smaller, they tend to move faster as well.
The main functions of an angle grinder are to cut and grind metal, wood, and concrete while die grinders are to sand, polish, and hone wood, plastic, and metal.
Because of the strength needed to operate an angle grinder, it requires electric power. As for die grinders, although they can be powered electrically as well, they are mostly air powered.
Angle grinder comes in different sizes in terms of its discs. The disc’s sizes range from 4 ½ inches to 9 inches. The most commonly used size of the disc is 4 ½ inches. Because it is the smallest, it also has the highest speed which would operate up to 10,000 RPM.
On the other hand, a disc that measures 9 inches can only reach up to 6,500 RPM. Bigger discs also tend to cost more than smaller ones. However, because of the speed of smaller discs, they tend to wear off faster than bigger ones.
Best Angle Grinder Buying Guide
When shopping for an angle grinder, there are a lot of things that you should keep in mind. Here is a guide on what to look for in an angle grinder:
You would want to have an angle grinder that has a guard that can keep the sparks and dust away from you. Most people tend to disregard this part of an angle grinder which should not be the case since you’ll never know when accidents might happen. Another thing to look for is a safety clutch. A safety clutch gives you that extra security and it also helps minimize the impact of a kick-back.
Handling an angle grinder is not a very comfortable thing to do. A major thing that makes using an angle grinder uncomfortable if the size of the handle is too big for your hands.
Make sure to buy one that you will be able to grip easily. Another quality to look out for is an anti-vibration handle. This feature will make it more comfortable to use for long periods of time.
Lastly, look for something that has an adjustable side handle. This will allow both left and right-handed people to use the tool comfortably in whatever position they want.
These tools come in different powers in terms of amp, voltage, and wattage. Amp ratings range from 4 to 15 while wattage ranges from 500 up to 2000 watts. As for the voltage, you have an option of 110 to 230 volts. For hobbyists that do not require a lot of heavy-duty work, then opting for an angle grinder with a lower rating would be sufficient.
Since it’s a very powerful tool, it can be dangerous to use which is why it is important that you purchase one that is of high quality. Cheap and poorly made discs have a tendency to break down when being used which can be very risky. Investing in a quality angle grinder does not have to be expensive. There are a lot of brands out there that sells affordable yet quality grinders. Just make sure you don’t overspend.
There are different types of discs you can use. Some examples would be sanding discs, wire brush, grinding discs, paint-stripping discs, and synthetic non-woven flap discs. Each of them has their own purpose so it is important that you are aware of which one you need for the task you will do.
Angle Grinder Uses
This versatile tool has a lot of uses. Its main purpose is for grinding metal to give it a smooth surface. This can also work on concrete, mortar, and stone. Another common task for this tool is to cut through hard metal like rods, bolts, and bars. When using the correct disc, you will be able to cut stones and concrete smoothly as well. You can also use an angle grinder to sharpen blades, wood, and polish paint and metal.
For people who are only getting into power tools, here are answers to some frequently asked questions:
What is an Angle Grinder?
It’s a handheld rotary type tool that is mainly powered by electricity. However, it can also be powered by compressed air and petrol engine. It is commonly used for construction, metalworking, and even woodwork. It has a disc that can grind, cut, polish, sand, and sharpen blades.
What is an Angle Grinder Used for?
It is mainly used for construction and metalworking. Both hobbyists and professionals can make use of this powerful tool. Disc grinders can be used in many ways and would depend on what type of disc you are using.
Can an Angle Grinder Be Used as a Sander?
Most definitely. As long as you are using the right disc such as a sanding disc or a flap disc, you will be able to use this as a sander.
Do I Need an Angle Grinder?
An angle grinder is a very versatile tool that can be very useful to have in your toolbox. They are powerful yet does not take up a lot of space. Because of this tool’s versatility, you will be able to work on different type of tasks.
How to Hold an Angle Grinder
The way to hold varies on what type of task you are doing. The best thing to remember is to hold it in a way that you are able to move easily and comfortably. Also make sure that you are using safety gears such as gloves, dust masks, goggles, and ear protection.
It’s a very useful tool to have. It has a lot of different uses that allows you to work on different types of projects whether it is construction, metalwork, or woodwork. That’s why you need the best angle grinder at your disposal. It is a powerful tool that can help you cut through hard metal and steel, grind and polish tools, sharpen blades, and many more.
There are a variety of discs that you can choose from that has different uses. Make sure that you utilize the correct disc depending on the task you are doing. Since it is a very powerful tool, make sure to keep your safety a priority by keeping the guard on and by wearing gloves, a dust mask, goggles, and ear protection.
There are a lot of different brands of angle grinders available in the market. If you are looking for an entry-level and Best Variable Speed Angle Grinder that is inexpensive yet powerful, the Hitachi G12SR4 will be a great choice. But if you are looking for a more powerful angle grinder, then the Metabo W9-115 will be the perfect one for you.