Looking for the Best Cordless Impact Driver in 2018? Read the review carefully. You will definitely find out your desired one!
In a Hurry? Check Out Our Top list of Impact Drivers
|DEWALT 20V MAX Cordless Drill Combo Kit, 2-Tool (DCK240C2)||1,684 Reviews||Buy on Amazon|
|Makita DT03R1 12V Max CXT Lithium-Ion Cordless Impact Driver Kit||44 Reviews||Buy on Amazon|
|BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX Cordless Drill / Driver, 3/8-Inch (LDX120C)||5,273 Reviews||Buy on Amazon|
Just a couple of years ago who would have imagined that cordless drivers will be so much popular among professionals as of today. After reading the above lines, some of you will ask the fundamental question “we have a drill then why the hell we need a unique tool that does the same thing”?
I find the question to be quite reasonable and straightforward. Logically the drivers will give you some more feature than a Cordless drill and let you use multiple tools Sanders, wheel brushes, and hole saws more efficiently.
What's on the Page
What's on the Page
With the key-less design, it behaves like a universal tool that takes all the bits irrespective of their design. These cordless drivers feature a slip clutch technology which helps in torque adjustments and delivers better torque as per the job requirement.
Well, these are just a few features from many that draw in buyers at an ever-increasing rate. So if your job requires more torque than, these drivers will make an ideal choice.
But what are the components in it? Is it improved torque or just raw power?
For a better understanding of the specs and features, please read out our reviews & guide below. Hopefully, it will help you for sure to make a better decision.
Top 5 Impact Driver Reviews
1. DEWALT DCK240C2 20v Lithium Drill Driver/Impact Combo Kit
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN: Lightweight tools designed to fit the user's needs
- INCREASED VISIBILITY: The DCF885 features a built in LED with 20 second delay after trigger release
- INCLUDES: (1) DCD771 Drill/Driver, (1) DCF885 1/4 inches Impact Driver, (2) 20V MAX Lithium Ion 1.3 Ah Battery Packs, 20 Volt MAX charger, and (1) Kit Bag
- ONE HANDED BIT LOADING: THE DCF885 has a 1/4 inches hex chuck and accepts 1 inches bit tips, Power Tool Type:Cordless
- HIGH PERFORMANCE MOTOR: The DCD771 delivers 300 unit watts out (UWO) of power ability completing a wide range of applications
Dewalt has been the global leader in the power tool industry for more than 90 years now and is globally known among professionals for durability and top of the professional line tool. The DCK240C2 combo kit is now different and comes with the DCF885 driver and DCD771 drill.
This driver can put screws in some of the toughest materials without giving a feel to the user. This machine is intelligently designed with various unique design features that keep it ahead of the game.
- Torque: When you are looking for something with better torque rating and can be trusted this is the device for you. Its motor can produce 1417 in.lbs of torque which is sufficient to take care of all your professional needs.
- Speed: This driver is fast and features a no-load speed of 2800 RPM, meaning you can finish your work quickly
- Weight: What makes this worthy to stand in the top of the list is its ultralight design. It weighs a mere 2.8 lbs. so you won’t fatigue while working with it
- Size: This tool has been designed compactly and measures only 5.5 inches thick, making it ideal choices for tight space
- Torque adjustment: It features a special side to side switch that controls the direction of torque as well as acts as an auxiliary power switch
- LED lighting: This features a set of LED on the chuck collar which acts with a delay function and helps you to work in darker area comfortably
- It can easily be loaded with one hand with bits from 1/4” to 1.”
- It has a 3 LED ring so you can see what you’re doing clearly
- Best 20v driver for the price range.
- It has two units. Driver and Drill both
- The 20v battery system can swap with any of the other Dewalt tools if needed.
- It has 300 Watts of power and works at speeds up to 1500 RPM but it’s easy to handle and lightweight at only 2.8lb.
- Reasonable price considering the two tools.
- There isn’t a brushless motor, so it gets scorching quickly with prolonged use.
- The 20V battery sounds more impressive than it is as it doesn’t last long (probably why you get a spare) and at only
- 1.3Amps you might want to go and buy a 3A instead of anything more than a quick use.
Besides above-mentioned features it also has something extra like a 20v MAX rechargeable Li-ion battery that provides decent runtime, slide on the battery which makes the driver capable of standing on its base.
This is carefully designed with non- slip grips and strategically placed bumpers around the motor housing such it does not slide when kept laid on an inclined surface. Also, the driver has belt hooks on both the side so it can be hung around and do not fall.
Overall it’s intelligently designed to fit in your hand and provide an excellent experience while working. Also, it is the best cordless drill and impact driver set.
2. Makita DT03R1 12V Max CXT Lithium-Ion
- Variable speed (0-2,600 RPM & 0-3,500 IPM) for a wide range of fastening applications
- Motor delivers 970 in.lbs. of Max Torque in an ultra compact size
- Ergonomically designed handle with rubberized soft grip provides increased comfort
- Compact and ergonomic design at only 6" long
- 12V slide battery design enables the tool to stand on its own for user convenience
If your line of work has decent power requirement, but at the same time you work in a very tight space, thus you require the best impact driver that can deliver both of qualities mentioned above then Makita DT03R1 is tailor-made for your needs.
It is a super-compact device that can work in some of the tightest space that too with decent power available at variable speeds for a full range of application. There are certain areas in which it makes our champ run for its money and simply outclasses it.
- Torque: It is not as powerful as our top pick but still its motor can deliver a nice 970 in.lbs of torque which is sufficient to take care of all your DIY and household jobs, at different required torque speed specific to the job
- Speed: When you compare this to any of the models in terms of speed it will be the obvious winner. The motor drives out a stunning 3500 rpm, which makes up for the low power rating, meaning you can finish your work quickly
- Battery and performance: This is the best 12v impact driver on our list. It is powered by a 12v 2000 mAh max CXT Li-ion battery, and if you consider a longer run, then it is also compatible with 12v 4000 mAh max CXT Li-ion battery. The upside for the battery is that it is equipped with battery circuit protection that protects it from over-discharging, overheating and overloading which makes it one of the best battery powered impact driver on our list.
- Weight: It is ultralight in construction and weighs a mere 2.3 lbs. making it ideal to work longer times. You will enjoy working with it without breaking a sweat and zero fatigue chances.
- Size: This tool has been designed compactly and measures only 5.5 inches thick, making it ideal choices for tight space
- LED lighting: This has an inbuilt LED on the collar which acts as a delay function and helps you to work in dim lit areas
- It’s fast and with speeds of up to 3,500 RPM puts the Dewalt 1500 to shame.
- Measures only 6” long and can deliver a torque of up to 970in.lb, impressive for such a small tool.
- The driver is quite aggressively priced, making it one of the preferable options
- The 12V battery swaps easily, also designed to protect against overheating and overloading.
- The kit comes with a charger, spare battery, and carry case too
- It’s ultra-compact for tight spaces and weighs a tiny 2.3lb.
- There is also a LED indicator to let you see just how much charge the batteries have
- Features in-built LED lights so you can see while working
- If needed it’s compatible with batteries with up to a 4Amp capacity for extended use time
- The battery capacity could be better
- No torque reversal system
It has an exceptional build quality which makes it the best 12-volt driver available. The proprietary hammer and anvil are carved out from high-quality carbon steel and has been especially heating treated to be more durable. Thanks to its design it’s much easier to control, and because of the ergonomically designed handle with soft rubber grip, it provides better grip while working.
It comes with the conventional 1/4 inch hex chuck for faster switching of bits. The company offers three years limited warranty on the tool, battery, and charger. If it is not up to benchmark, it can be returned or exchanged for a new set during the warranty period. All of this makes it an ideal cordless 1/4 inch impact driver.
3. BLACK+DECKER LDX120C 20-Volt MAX Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill/Driver
- Ideal for drilling into wood, metal plastic and all screw driving tasks
- Chuck Size: 3/8 in; Clutch Setting: 11; Included Components: (1) LDX120 Drill/Driver, (1) LBX20 20V MAX* Lithium Ion Battery, (1) LCS20 Charger, (1) Double Ended Bit; Power Source: Cordless
- Lithium Ion Technology & 20V MAX: Lighter, more compact, no memory, longer life
- 11 Position Clutch: Provides precise control for drilling into wood, metal, plastic, and all screwdriving tasks
- Compact and Lightweight: Less fatigue and allows users to drill / screw in confined spaces. Part of the 20V MAX System - A System that Demands Attention
Black & Decker is a renowned brand around the globe when it comes to power tools. The company was started in 1910, and since then it has made a tradition to deliver high-quality tools at an exceptionally lower price. The LDX123C one such tool manufactured by the company.
If most of your work consists of DIY projects in and around your home and you are on a limited budget, then Black & Decker LDX123C is the best cordless drill driver combo for your line of work. It’s the cheap impact driver you can find.
- Torque: When power is being considered it can be placed somewhere in the above-average group as it produces a nice 1115 in.lbs of torque which not too high but at the same time is sufficient to take care of all your DIY and household jobs which you came across.
- Battery and performance: It is powered by a 20v rechargeable Li-ion battery which is capable of giving a decent runtime of up to one hour. The upside for the battery is that it is able to provide decent runtimes.
- Weight: Compared with our top two picks it can be considered slightly on the lower side as it weighs 3.4 lbs. which slightly more than the above models. Still it good to work with.
- Size: This tool is very much compact in size measure only 6.2 inches thick, making it ideal choices for tight space and working at awkward angles
- LED lighting: It’s has an inbuilt LED on the collar which acts as a delay function and helps you to work in dim lit areas
- The driver has an 11 position clutch for precise adjustment torque and speed while working
- Lightweight design that isn’t particularly powerful but you get what you pay for.
- Features a big 20V battery, with decent runtime
- Onboard light, so you can see better in darker places
- You also get a ten-piece bit set with it
- It’s the best budget driver for DIY builders.
- No charger and carrying case with the tool
- The battery takes around 3 hours to reach full charge which is very frustrating and time-consuming
- The body is made of plastic, so it’s not very sturdy at all.
- There’s also an only one-speed option, and it’s not up to heavy-duty work.
- In fact, this is more of a drill than an impact and other than the keyless system it might as well be.
The driver features a plastic body which according to me is below par, but it’s ergonomically designed which it quite comfortable for holding for long periods. The driver is covered with a soft and slip-resistant material which gives you a good grip and minimizes sweat.
It also features an 11-point clutch mechanism which enables you to drill precisely and does not stripe heads of screws. It is, of course, lower when compared to the top two models, but is a decent choice considering the price you pay for it.
4. PORTER-CABLE PCCK604L2 20V Max Lithium-Ion 2-Tool Combo Kit
- 1/2 inch two speed drill/driver. High performance motor delivers 283 Units Watts Out and 0-350/0-1,500 RPM.
- Compact design 8.25 inch long and 3.5 lbs. Drill features an ergonomic handle design, LED light and bit storage
- 1/4 inch impact driver delivers 1450 in/lbs of torque, 0-2,800 RPM and 0-3,100 BPM. Quick load chuck for one handed bit changes.
- Compact design 6.9" long and 3.3 lbs.Impact driver features an ergonomic handle, LED light and bit storage
- 20V MAX 1.3 Ah lithium ion batteries included. Professional grade batteries deliver more runtime and are lighter weight than traditional NiCd batteries
Porter-cable is one the giants in the power tool industry and how can it let somebody like Dewalt take advantage in the market by introducing combo kits. The PCCK604 combo kit contains a Li-ion drill and a Li-ion impact driver with batteries, regular charger, kitbag, double-ended screw driving bit and two Phillips bit tip.
The 1/2 inch impact drill/driver features high-performance motor with 350 unit watts out. It is one of the models that you should definitely look at it as it is the most powerful and the best cordless driver on our list.
- Torque: if power is your first preference then you are looking at bet model for your needs as this driver is a beast in terms of powers as it produces a massive 1450 in.lbs of torque which is sufficient to take care of all your professional work.
- Speed: As torque and speed are inversely proportional it shows a decline in speed and clocks just about 800 RPMs. It is not super fast but still can get all your jobs done easily.
- Battery and performance: It features a 20v 1500 mAh rechargeable Li-ion battery that gives a regular run-time of 15- 20 minutes, besides the batteries are of professional-grade and much lighter than the regular batteries.
- Weight: When it dishes out such an enormous amount of power it’s bound to be heavy but surprise for you as it weighs only 3.3 lbs which makes it one of the best compact impact driver. Thus making it quite popular among professionals.
- Size: Talking about the size of the driver quite big than rest of models and measures 6.9 inches at a minimum, still it works like a charm in thigh spaces.
- LED lighting: This has an inbuilt LED on the collar which acts with a delay function and helps you to work in dim lit areas.
- It is a two tool kit that comes with a driver and a drill. They both use the same 20V swap able batteries.
- Both pieces are two speed and have a dual clutch, but the speed is only variable using trigger pressure rather than having an adjustable setting.
- It’s also got the standard LED lights
- It has a convenient bit storage area, so you won’t have to search when changing bits during a job.
- It features a 24 position slip clutch, over double that of the Black & Decker.
- This is a noisy driver, after such power
- The battery life is under an hour for both and charging time is close to two hours each which can be frustrating.
- These are also not very durable and burn up within a year with regular use.
- The driver is surprisingly heavy at over 3lb and almost 7” long which makes it one of the larger drivers here.
It is designed for single-hand use and offers better control thanks to its ergonomic handle design. It also features a drill bit holder to keep your necessary bits close to you while operating. The company offers a warranty which can be extended subjected to price, which is really a good option.
With its raw power and all the loaded features, this 1/4 inch driver is easily one of the best 20v impact driver. You can go for this driver if your line of work requires brute strength.
5. Hitachi KC18DGL 18-Volt Cordless Lithium-Ion Driver Drill
- Hitachi Power Tools has renamed to Metabo HPT. Same great tools, with only a new name.
- Kit includes (2) 18V Lithium Ion Slide Type batteries that deliver steady power for the duration of the charge
- The DS18DGL 18V Lithium Ion Driver Drill boasts 400 in/lbs of torque in an ergonomic, lightweight (3.7 lbs) design
- The WH18DGL 18V Lithium Ion Impact Driver weighs only 3.1 lbs, yet still delivers 1,280 in/lbs of driving torque for heavier applications
- Kit also includes the UC18YKSL quick charger, double sided Phillips #2 Driver bit and carrying bag
Alright, guys if you have been in the power tools industry for just a small period then Hitachi is a name that you must be familiar with.
The WH18DGL from Hitachi is one of the few impact drivers that you can trust blindly for any job. It is one of the most accurate and efficient tools in the market available today. When it comes to working in small confined spaces this should be your choice.
The driver features a variable speed trigger that is highly impressive, and enables you to adjust power as per the requirement of the job and delivers just the right amount of power needed.
- Torque: People tend to get deceived by the compact looks of this tool and often consider it under power. Its motor can produce 11280 in.lbs of torque which is sufficient to take care of most of your work.
- Speed: This driver is one of the fastest around and has a no-load speed of 2400 RPM with 3200 BPM. It enables you to finish your work quickly.
- Weight: The tool is lightweight with a compact body design and weighs an impressive 3.1 lbs. thus it is quite comfortable while working and won’t stress your muscles.
- Battery and performance: The device houses an 18v rechargeable Li-ion battery that gives ample amount of fade-free power. The batteries charge quickly in 35 minutes and deliver a better lifespan as compared to others.
- LED lighting: It features a set of LED lights on collar which acts with a 10 second delay function and helps you to work in darker area with better accuracy
- With 1280 in.lb of torque this isn’t quite up to the Porter-Cable, but it’s still headed over the Black and Decker.
- The 2400 RPM, motor, and Li-Ion battery provide reliable power in a pistol grip device that weighs just over 3lb.
- One of the most compact drivers, it’s robust and contoured to make it comfortable to handle.
- It’s not the most impressive by any means, but it has a LED light, spare battery, charger, and carry box included to make up for it.
- More expensive than the Porter-Cable for less of a tool.
- It’s clutchless and only has a variable speed trigger, so it’s not a very heavy duty
The 1/4 inch impact driver is sleek and compact in design which makes it great to work in confined spaces. Thanks to the Hitachi Variable speed trigger the operator has complete control over the power output of the tool.
With ergonomically designed handle and better gripping material used, it provides a nice experience while operating and do not tend to slip from hands. Overall it can be considered as the best cordless impact driver for home and professional use.
What is an Impact driver?
It’s a tool that produces an enormous amount of torque and does the work of taking a lug nut off track or deck building or screwing much easier. They are much similar to a drill but have some add on a feature like an anvil impact action and a hammer, which generates massive torque when needed to break in screws or create holes. These tools weigh much less than the similar drill and are much compact in design.
How is an Impact driver different from a drill?
It is one of the biggest confusion among people that both of the devices mentioned above are same, no they are not the same. Of course, they can perform some of the simpler tasks quite efficiently. It has a much higher torque combined with a paced rotational tapping; this helps in driving fasteners and screws much easily without damaging them. When a task demands a lot of brute strength drills often tend to slip, but the drivers have hex chuck bits that don’t spin and do the job perfectly.
Drill driver combinations actually work as both so you’re getting a combination tool that is the best of both worlds. When it comes to choosing the best cordless drill-driver you’ve got a whole lot more versatility than a driver alone. But you’re also getting slightly less power. Many kits actually have combinations with both tools together so you can get lucky and get both tools for the same price or you can choose a combination tool instead.
Best Impact Driver Buyers Guide
Before you go into the market to get your hands on your new cordless driver, you need to understand a few basic things about them. Such that you end up with one of the best product according to your needs.
First of all, you need to know what an impact driver is? How are they different from impact wrench & drills? Why use them? We will answer all of such questions in our guide. And by the time you are done with the guide, you would be an expert on it.
Well, there are a ton of features which any impact driver can brag about, but when carefully analyzed we found out that the below mention functionality must be present there in any drive that you want to choose.
The process of choosing the best possible driver is directly dependent on the type of work which you do. But there are certain features which should be considered while making the purchase. Ideally, you must have a look at the below mention features.
Battery life (Runtime)
As a cordless driver, this becomes the most important consideration that how much runtime does the driver provide at peak load. Look for a model that offers better runtime or at least an extra set of rechargeable batteries which can help you do the job if the primary one runs out of juice.
Yes, you read that correctly, none of you want that all of a sudden while carrying out a job your driver breaks down or starts giving you trouble. So look for reviews of various best models available in the market on the most trusted Obviously, a quality product will have helpful reviews and lots of satisfied customers. Another simple and easy way to follow our resourceful guides as we make sure that our reader ends up with top-notch product available always.
Every driver possesses an enormous amount of torque. Having enough torque gives you the power to remove and install fasteners very quickly. You should go for a driver h with a minimum of 700 in-lbs for light use or if you go for professional stuff for automotive use choose a 1500 ft-lbs model.
The speed is measured in RPM. If you work demands a regular repetition of driving a large number of lug nuts go for a machine with higher RPM. In most of the cases, a regular driver will do your job.
An impact driver with lower weight must be given priority as for small jobs it doesn’t matter. But when you are working for longer hours a lighter machine is easier to control and handle. A driver between 2.7 – 3.7 lbs would make a better
According to me, it’s the most important aspect of purchasing anything, first identify how much you want to spend and then accordingly select the reasonable features which you can get in your budget.
The general consideration for size is the smaller, the better as a smaller device would enable you to work in tight spaces. There are a lot of choices between 5.6 inches to 7 inches choose accordingly.
This is the feature which I love the most because it enables me to control the torque and thus reduces the chance of over-torquing or snapping the bolt head.
Most of the drivers have built-in LED lighting features, which illuminate the working area in dark places they are an asset. Choose a model with LED lighting.
Look for a wrench that fits your hands perfectly and has a good & comfortable gripping material. As it will provide better balance and reduce strain and fatigue while working.
Perhaps the most important point when you are looking to invest your hard-earned money, most manufacturers offer 1 to 2-year warranty, but occasionally some may give a lifetime. The extra warranty comes at an increased price so look what you wish for. Some companies provide different warranty for tool and a separate warranty for the battery, so choose accordingly.
These are some of the few must-have features. So now you know exactly what features you need while selecting your new driver.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQ’s
Q. What kind of bit an impact driver uses?
Ans. Most of the impact drives take hexagonal bits as they are standard for nearly all the screwdrivers across the world. The reason for hexagonal bits is that when a job demands high torque and you use a regular bit chances are that it will spin and your job cannot be completed. All of this is avoided by using high-quality hexagonal bits that tend to lock with the socket and do not turn even when working under severe stress.
Q. Can I use the Impact Driver for drilling purposes?
Ans. Yes, you can use it for drilling bores into different surfaces. It will give out similar results to as that of an equivalent drill. But to use the regular drill bits you need to use the special adapter in some of the models. Depending on the surface where you try to bore holes in the speed varies from surface to surface. For everyday use, it can be employed as a drill.
Q. When should I use an impact driver?
Ans. The answer is straightforward, whenever you need to fasten a fastener, drive in screws or lag bolts of any size, nuts or anything that needs to be driven and requires turning. As these drives provide an enormous amount of brute strength, they reduced the forces exerted on your arm and reduces the hard work manifold.
Q. What should be the ideal battery size?
Ans. As there are a large number of models available in the market and every one of them features some battery improvement functionalities, some of them charge quickly; some have circuits to prevent overcharging and overheating. Also, there are cells of size up to 4000 mAh. So it totally depends on how much you are willing to invest. For general consideration, a battery worth 2500 mAh should be enough to provide you a decent run-time for your jobs.
Safety Tips & Maintenance
It doesn’t matter which power tool you are using, you should always give priority to your safety. Here are some of the basic safety guidelines for you.
Wear Ear Protection:
Whenever you are using a power tool, always wear ear protection. Sounds exceeding 80dB can literally cause injury to your hearing. These impact tools exceed that limit. Don’t leave your ears exposed.
Read The Manuals:
If you are new to using a driver, don’t start using your tool right after you buy them. Sit down, take the time to read the instructions first. All the latest cordless drill/drivers are packed with features. It might take quite a while for you to fully understand how you can use those features.
You should also keep the manual close to you all the time. At least for the first couple of days. Read the instruction then change the tool to your desired settings. This way, you’ll get used to your tool much faster.
There are other perks of reading the manuals. It’ll tell you how to keep your power tool running smoothly, you can know how to make proper use of your tool and you will have a longer-lasting tool in the process.
Knowing all the details about your impact driver will certainly increase the service time of your drivers. You are spending quite a few bucks on this tool and it pays to spend some time reading the manuals.
Other Protective Gears:
Cordless tools are getting powerful each year. In terms of max torque, these cordless tools are reaching the torque level of an air-powered impact driver. With this much torque comes certain risks.
That’s why it’s safer to use safety glass. Don’t ignore work gloves. If you are in the construction sector, you know the importance of mechanical gloves.
Safe Work Area:
Check the safety of your work premises before starting to work. Make sure you check your surroundings before you get to work. Wet floors, scattered electric cords, clutter can lead to some serious injury.
Also, make sure you have ambient lighting conditions. Avoid working in dimly lighted areas.
- Keep your impact driver clean all the time. Oil your tools as directed by your instruction guide that came along with the tool. If you don’t want to take that risk, ask a professional to help you out.
- The most important component of a cordless driver is the charger. Make sure that part of the tool is working properly. Keep it clean from dust.
- Charge the batteries before using it for work. Keep the battery holder clean and dry.
- Just because you can use it to drill holes doesn’t necessarily mean that you should. The RPM on these tools is too fast to make precision drilling.
Take care of your tools and it’ll last longer. Most of us neglect this simple act of proper maintenance. After using your tool, make sure you give it nice wipe-clean before storing it away.
These are not cheap. You are investing a good amount of money on these drivers. So, make sure you take proper care of your tools.
Although most of these drives are relatively similar in performance. But, if you require something powerful then PORTER-CABLE PCCK604L2 is clearly are no match for others, if not for the high price! It is near twice the powerful than some of the models, and also you get a drill with it, so the price is compensated.
The Makita is by far the best one, as long as you opt for the large 4 amp batteries it clearly outdoes its competitors. The Black and Decker is a budget option, but you might as well buy another drill as its performance is comparable. If you are considering to buy an 18v driver, the Hitachi KC18DGL is our pick for the best 18v impact driver.
So if you are looking forward to getting a cordless impact driver, then any of them from our list will serve all your demands, as all the products mentioned in our list is cent percent original and authentic. Personally, I prefer PORTER-CABLE PCCK604L2 as it fulfills all my working professional needs and has a longer warranty. Do not hesitate to spend some extra to get high-quality products as it will serve you better and longer.