When it comes to versatility, the best rotary tool definitely takes the trophy. It has the perfect size that can easily fit in anyone’s hand; not too big and not too little. Don’t let its size fool you. Despite its relatively small size, it is a very powerful tool that can help you with a lot of tasks.
A rotary tool comes with a lot of different accessories that can be useful to people you are found to DIY, handymen, and even hobbyists. It can cut drywall, grind, buff, carve, polish, sand, and engrave different materials like wood, metal, concrete, drywall, steel, plastic, and even glass.
Best Dremel for Wood Carving tool comparison – What is the best rotary tool
Some of the most common uses are to remove rust from metal, carve on wood, detailing, and polishing different objects like door handles and even jewelry. With the many brands of rotary tools available, it can be a bit difficult to choose one.
To help you decide, below are reviews of some of the top-rated wood carving tools in the market today.
What's on the Page
What's on the Page
Top 5 Rotary Tool Reviews
1. WEN 2305 Rotary Tool Kit with Flex Shaft
- The WEN 2305 with Flex Shaft is a very versatile tool for your home. That would be true for any rotary tool, never mind one that is available with an 80-piece accessory set.
- From sanding discs through polishing pads to spindles, it offers a wide variety of tools. The machine itself only weighs 3.5 pounds, another advantage.
- I already mentioned versatility, and the RPM numbers reflect that. The WEN 2305 is capable of a wide range of different outputs, from 8,000 RPM, up to 30,000. It has a 1.0 amp motor and double insulation.
- The wide assortment of accessories is the most interesting feature of the package, with special emphasis on the Flex Shaft. This tool acts as a versatile extension of the rotary tool. It allows you to use it without actually holding the machine, almost like how you would hold a pen.
- Attaching the Flex Shaft is easy if you follow the instructions. With it on, you can use the WEN 2305 for precision works. If you ever want to engrave images onto a glass plate, you can do it with this multi-purpose tool.
- Flex Shaft for precision work
- Lightweight design
- 80-piece accessory set
- Well-fitting case
- Spindle lock
- Variablespeed rotary tool, speed between 8,000-30,000 RPM
- May overheat under heavy use
2. Dremel 7300-N/8 MiniMite 4.8-Volt – Best cordless rotary tool
- Also known as the Dremel Mini Mite, the 7400-N/8 is a versatile cordless tool. It comes with a small and highly portable design, making it an ideal choice for small jobs, especially when they involve tight spaces. This compact and comfortable cordless two-speed rotary tool settings is 8’’ long and weighs only 1.4 pounds.
- There are three sanding drums in the package, along with a carbine stone made out of silicone. The blue switch helps you choose between a low and a high-speed option. In addition, a separate switch allows you to temporarily put the tool into a fixed position, so you don’t accidentally switch between the two speeds while working.
- The cordless function of the machine is both convenient and practical. The cordless design gives you more freedom in your movement. What’s more, the machine is small enough to fit in tight spaces, where the corded rotary tool could be a big obstacle.
- The battery pack is removable, and once it’s depleted, it needs about three hours to fully recharge. A led light indicates if the battery is in the right position for charging.
- This is compatible with just about any Dremel bit accessories, which means plenty of extra options.
- Cordless design, which makes it our pick for the best cordless rotary tool.
- Two different speed settings
- Lots of accessories
- Compatible with all Dremel bits
- Plastic housing
- Charging time could be shorter
3. DEWALT DW660 Cut-Out 5 Amp 30,000 RPM
- The Dewalt DW660 is a cut-out 5-amp design capable of a 30,000 RPM output. It comes with 1/4 and 1/8 inch collets, and matches the company’s usual standards in versatility. This is a corded version, but there is also a cordless design that has roughly the same features.
- At the back of the tool, there is a bump switch that allows for a quick shut down. It is capable of reaching 30,000 RPM with no load on it. It also has a kindle lock that lets you change accessories without any extra tools.
- The engine is sealed off, so dust cannot find its way into the housing. Most people use this tool for cutting drywall, but since it is a rotary tool, there are plenty of other different uses for it.
- There is also an adjustable depth guide at the top of the tool, made out of stamped sheet metal. The cord has a good design as well — it remains flexible even after many uses.
- Loudness is a usual problem with power tools, but this one is different. Despite its power, it is not that noisy.
- Strong engine
- 30,000 RPM output
- Convenient turn-off switch
- Slim design
- Sealed housing
- 5-amp engine
- Adjustable guide
- 2 pounds
- Tough to remove the main bit
- Lock button location
4. Tacklife RTD35ACL
Aside from power tools, Tacklife is a manufacturer of different products such as home appliances, measuring tools, outdoor products, and hand tools. They aim to provide their customers with products that perform excellently at a low price tag.
- RPM ranges from 10 ,000 – 32, 000
- 120 v – 60 Hz
- 0 amp power
- Adjustable rotation speed: 6-speed options
- Rubber grips
- Spindle lock
- Comes with 3 attachments: flex shaft, cutting guide, and auxiliary handle
- Comes with more than 80 accessories such as sanding paper, diamond bit, felt wheel, mandrel, grinding wheel, and sanding shank
- Comes with a hard carrying case and an accessory case
- Has the perfect size which makes the handle easy to grip and control
- A lot of accessories are included and has everything that you need for any type of project
- Works as well or even better than expensive tools from well-known brands
- The handle attachments lock securely
- Well ventilated and does not overheat easily
- One of the most affordable tools
- The case it comes with is very convenient to use and organize all the accessories
- Some of the accessories do not fit well on the grinder
- Some of the accessories included tends to break a little too easily
- The torque is pretty low
5. UBANTE U300
Ubante specializes in do-it-yourself tools. Their product ranges from paintbrushes to handheld tools.
- Rotation per minute or RPM ranges from 10,000 to 37,000
- 6-speed settings
- Voltage is 110 and wattage is 130
- Amp power ranges from 0.5 amps to 0.7 amps
- Comes with accessories and attachments
- Sealed ball bearing motor
- Small handle for easy grip
- It measures 11.9 x 4.1 x 2.7 in. and weighs 1.8 lbs.
- Very affordable
- Runs smoothly and quietly
- Has the right power
- Sturdy despite its size
- Performs as well as well-known brands
- Comfortable to hold as it fits nicely in the hand
- Simple to use and easy to control
- It comes with a plastic case to store the tool
- Does not heat up easily
- The tool feels solid but lightweight
- The consumable bits do not last that long
- Some of the accessories it comes with tend to come off or does not fit
- The different speeds are not that noticeable
- Most Dremel tools accessories do not fit on the rotary tool if you want to replace some of them
Things To Know Before Buying a Rotary Tool
Rotary Tool vs Oscillating Tool
A rotary tool and an oscillating tool have a few similarities. They are both very versatile tools. Both of them have different attachments and accessories that can handle tasks such as cutting, grinding, polishing, and sanding. Despite their similarity, their functions are very different from each other.
First is that a rotary tool is more suitable for small tasks like crafts or hobby work. It is used for projects that require a lot of precision like cutting curves or circles.
On the other hand, an oscillating tool is used for a bigger tasks like home improvement especially if you like to DIY. It is much more powerful than a rotary tool and can cut through tiles, drywall, and concrete.
Another difference they have is their speed. Since a rotary tool is smaller, it tends to move faster than an oscillating tool. It also creates a lot more dust.
Comparison – What is the Best Dremel tool
The Tacklife RTD35ACL and the UBANTE U300 has a lot of similarities. Both of them have 6-speed settings and are in the same price range. Both of their handles are fairly small which makes it easy to grip. They also come with a carrying case that can keep you organized. These two also have great ventilation which helps them from heating up.
Despite their similarities, they have quite a number of differences too. It has more accessories included and has a higher amp than UBANTE. However, UBANTE’s rpm range is higher than Tacklife and it is quieter as well.
Overall, both products are great and affordable. If you want one that has more accessories included and has a higher amp, then you may prefer Tacklife. Tacklife is the best Dremel for wood carving and you can rely on it. But if you prefer one that has a higher RPM and does not make too much noise, then UBANTE is the one for you.
Some users may want to have a quiet rotary tool for a number of reasons. The first reason is that they may not want to disturb other people especially if there is a baby in their home. The second reason is that it can also be used to easily trim our pet’s nails. You wouldn’t want to scare your pet with the noise that comes with a rotary tool.
As most of us know, power tools are far from being quiet devices. With the amount of work and power it does, there is no wonder that it makes a lot of noise. However, among all the power tools, it’s the quietest one.
The fact that it is small in size helps a lot with the sound it makes. However, not all are quiet. There are still some brands that tend to make a lot of noise so you may want to invest in a more quality brand such as the Dremel model and Proxxon.
Not all task requires too much power especially if you are working with delicate materials such as plastic. There are projects wherein you need extra care and precision so you may require a low-speed rotary tool in the process. Most of them have a range of 5000 up to 30,000 rotates per minute.
There are some low-end battery operated rotary tools that can achieve a lower rpm. Another way to achieve a low speed is to purchase a router speed control box. It allows you to control the speed of not only a rotary tool, but a few different tools as well.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
For new hobbyists, there may still be a few things that you may want to know about a rotary tool. Below you will find the answers to frequently asked questions:
Can the rotary tool cut wood?
Like other power tools such as an oscillating tool and an angle grinder, its performance and the task that it can do will highly depend on the disc or attachment you are using. The same goes with a rotary tool. It can cut through different materials and wood is one of them.
A plain cutting attachment will be able to help you cut any type of wood of various thicknesses. However, since a rotary tool is one of the smaller power tools there is, if you require cutting wood at a larger scale, you may need to switch to a bigger one.
How to curve wood with a rotary tool?
Wood carving with Dremel is one of the most common uses of this tool. It’s a great way to add details to crafts and decorate them. As mentioned earlier in this article, a rotary tool comes with many different attachments that have different purposes. In order to carve wood, you need to use the right attachment, tool accessories.
The first step to do when you want to carve on wood is to find a well-lighted space to work on. Once you have decided on the right place to do your work, attach the bit that is required for carving/engraving on wood which is usually a wood carving bit or a metal bit.
The next step is to design the wood you are going to carve so that you will have a guide and avoid making mistakes. After that, it is important that you make an outline first by pressing lightly using your rotary tool.
When satisfied, carve away. Make sure to sweep off the sawdust while working so that it does not interfere with your work. Lastly is to remove any rough edges and retouch areas.
What can I do with a rotary tool?
This versatile tool has a great number of uses. All of its uses would depend on what type of attachment you are using. When using the right bit or attachment, you will be able to cut Drywall, engrave, grind, sand, polish, buff, and carve.
What does a rotary tool do?
A rotary tool is a high-speed device that can help you with DIY work, crafts, and home improvement. A rotary tool can grind, cut, polish, carve shape, buff, and sand a lot of different materials such as metal, concrete, wood, ceramic, laminate, glass, and even plastic.
What is a rotary tool?
It’s a very helpful device for hobbyists, handymen, people who DIY, and craftsmen. It is a high-speed, lightweight, hand-held tool that can either be cord or cordless and battery-operated. They are mainly used for detailed work.
Most tools have a range of 10,000 up to 35,000 rotates per minute. It works similarly to a drill except that it uses different attachments that has their own unique purposes. The task you can do with your rotary tool will mainly depend on what type of disc you are using.
Whether you are a professional jewelry maker or a person who just loves to tinker and tweak with objects, then you should definitely have the best rotary tool at your disposal. It has a great number of users that you can highly benefit from.
You can use it to cut a piece of metal and even put tiny details on wood. Its other uses are grinding, polishing, sanding, carving, engraving, and buffing different materials. Just remember that when operating a tool like this, make sure to take safety precautions by using goggles to prevent glass or wood shards, dust, and sparks from getting in your eyes. You can also take extra precautions by using gloves and a mask.