Using a random orbit sander is one of the best ways to do sanding on wood. This tool is extremely efficient for such jobs and doesn’t require much work on your part.
Once turned on, the pad of the machine starts to spin and simultaneously vibrates in an oval motion. This creates a sanding effect. That motion is the key and the main reason why a sander tool can be effective even in the hands of beginners. You simply lead the tool on the surface, and it does the rest.
When you use a tool like the Black & Decker BDERO100 Random Orbit Sander, you can count on it to do a good job. The technical aspect of sanding is easy enough — you simply want to remove material all across the surface, preferably in a side-to-side pattern.
A good trick is to draw thin pencil lines on the material all over it and follow it gently with the sander. In this way, you are able to hit the entire surface, erasing the pencil line and finish the sanding work in no time. With its features, the BDERO100 is an ideal tool for that.
- Engine: The Black & Decker BDERO100 Random Sander features a versatile, 2-amper, 120V motor. If you are familiar with power tools, you know that for a non-industrial sander this is plenty of power. Sanders are all about the “random orbit” motion, and the engine in the BDERO100 can provide enough juice to help the tool efficiently remove material and sand any wood materials from oak to pine.
- Speed: The Black & Decker BDER100 has the only one-speed option, but for a sander, this is not a huge problem. It can be a problem for those who used multi-speed appliances before. Still, the tool can do a perfect job. You simply alternate between different sanding pads, and in this way achieve the same thing that you would with a switch. All you need to do is choose a pad with a different grit, and the sanding speed changes.
- Dust collection: The tool has a dust canister that, though small, does a good job collecting particles from the air. When you feel it is full, you can take it out with a simple twisting motion. If you find the dust canister too small, you can buy adaptable external bags for this model.
- Hook and loop: This system allows you to change the sandpaper quickly and efficiently. Despite its simplicity, it does not compromise the tool or your safety in any way. The BDERO100 is a safe tool, partly thanks to its straightforward features.
- Top cord: The cord is attached to the tool at the top, so it is easy to move out of the way when you need to.
The main reason why the Black & Decker BDERO100 Random Sander is so popular is its user-friendly design. The three most important features are its relatively low weight, comfortable handle, and adaptive damper system. These make the BDERO100 a random orbit sander that is very easy to handle and use.
- Weight: The total weight of the tool is 3.2 pounds, so anyone can hold and use it without problems. With that weight and with its mild vibration, you may be able to use it for hours with minimal fatigue.
- Adaptive damper system: The design has soft rubber material on its handle, which makes for an excellent damper material. The vibration coming out of the tool finds its way into the rubber cover, where its impact is minimized. It also helps that the motor is in a different compartment from the sanding unit. Compared to other random orbit sanders, this also reduces vibration.
- Grip: The Black & Decker BDERO100 has an excellent grip. The plastic rubber has anti-skid material on it, which allows you to grab the tool with a firm and confident grip.
- Lightweight design
- Adaptive damper system
- Great grip with anti-skid marks
- Dust collecting canister
- User-friendly design
- Has no speed options
- The dust canister could be bigger
The Black & Decker BDERO100 has a compact, efficient design. It offers almost all of the features that a random orbit sander needs to operate well. The dust collection feature, the adaptive damper system, and the hook and loop design of the sanding unit all make this a good tool. The top cord design feature is another plus. But BDERO100’s biggest advantage is its user-friendliness, which makes this Black & Decker sander an excellent entry-level tool. Anyone who needs a random orbit sander for woodwork will appreciate this tool’s simplicity and efficiency.
Black & Decker BDERO100 vs. Bosch ROS20VSC
The Bosch ROS20VSC is another popular random orbit sander that has similar features and a slightly stronger engine at 2.5-amper. It is a little bulkier and heavier than the Black & Decker, and the grip is not as great. The microfilter system, on the other hand, shows great touch. If you are working in a very dusty space, this tool may actually serve you better.
When it comes to other features, we can safely say that the two designs have similar strengths. Even the fancier features are similar, including the anti-dust system, and the hook and loop design for replacing the sandpaper.
Overall, the ROS2VSC gives the Black & Decker BDERO100 a run for its money. Despite all that, there is an aspect – a very important one – where the Bosch R0S20VSC simply cannot compete. It’s something that you definitely need to remember when making your choice.
When it comes to the two tools’ user-friendliness, the ROS2VSC hardly compares, and that is what ultimately tips the scale in favor of the BDERO100. A home tool should be as handy as possible. More than that, it should be a good fit for those who haven’t used a similar tool before. The Black & Decker BDERO100 Random Orbit Sander is much easier to work with, and therefore wins this comparison.